[Xmca-l] Re: kinship

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 09:43:49 PST 2018

Well, the first response to functionalism was a pre-eminent concern with
the symbolic dimension and the matter of "meaning" (e.g., Geertz) and the
cheaper form of phenomenology of the sort that Bourdieu describes in
Outline of a Theory of Practice (and which he seeks to transcend with his
theory of practice - although most like to say that he ended up too far on
the side of structure). And, of course, "agency", which now needs to be
specified as "human agency", was a central concern of the response to
functionalism.

The ontological turn seems to be a response to this overemphasis on
meaning/interpretation/ideas (the epistemological) to the neglect of
materiality/constitution/embodiment (the ontological - as in "the grounds
(pluralized!) of being").

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.