[Xmca-l] Re: kinship

greg.a.thompson@gmail.com greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 07:12:15 PST 2018

Martin,
Depends on who I’m talking to.

I say yes to functionalism but no to “just” functionalism.

As Henry and others on the list have pointed out, one of the great troubles in academia is the way that intellectual fashions come and go. And they are either in or out. For most Anthropologists today, functionalism is out, way out (so far out it is almost in — just a matter of time...). So with anthropologists, I generally argue for the utility of a functionalist viewpoint.

But in other fields such as evolutionary psychology and evolutionary sociology, the functionalist perspective rules (and rules out everything else). So when I am talking with those folks, I argue against the functionalist perspective.

That’s just how I approach this. I’d be curious to hear your approach.

Greg

Sent from my iPhone