[Xmca-l] Re: kinship

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 20:42:02 PST 2018

Martin,​

And yes, I think that in the old kinship studies, there was indeed a
tendency to define family as child plus biological parents, but this has
changed with new kinship studies. But then again, (old) kinship studies
(e.g., Malinowski) also recognized that the nuclear family (with all its
psychodynamic explosiveness, think Freud's Oedipal Complex, well, not his,
but, you know "THE" Oedipal Complex) can sometimes be comprised
differently. Wasn't this Malinowski's contention? That the Oedipal Complex
in the Trobriand Islands was not between son and father but was between son
and mother's brother?

There is an emerging literature in anthropology on practices such as
"alloparenting", but the anthropology of childhood is a fairly
underdeveloped sub-field of anthropology.

As an example, here is a brief ethnographic excerpt from one of my
(undergraduate) students a few years back who conducted her fieldwork among
the Himba in Namibia (under supervision of a colleague, David Crandall):

"I was informally interviewing a woman I had never met before named Mukkara
as she held her
​ [sic]​
 young baby in her arms. She kissed and cooed at the baby as we spoke to
each other. The infant –about five months old –laughed as
​Mukkara
 blew air at his face. Mukkara then proceeded to breastfeed the baby, as I
asked her more about when the baby cries and what she did to calm
​him
 down. She
​listed a number of different things that she did to soothe him
. Then, just in the middle of her response, another woman came and swooped
up the child Mukkara was cuddling. Mukkara didn’t flinch when
​ this happened
, rather her attention moved to me as she passed off her baby.

I was confused as to why the other woman, now off tending a fire, took the
child. Mukkara explained that this baby was not actually her own, but
rather she was watching her friend’s child while she was away. I was very
interested to see that she knew so much about a child that was not her own,
that she breastfed the baby and that the baby did not cry or become upset
in the duration of our discussion. This data, along with further
investigation, lead me to know that multiple mothers care for Himba
children. Each mother knows her birth children, but there is a shared
motherly role for the children of another woman."

Anthropological research on alloparenting has also extended in other
directions such as the book Attachment Reconsidered by Naomi Quinn and J.
Mageo, as well as work by researchers interested on the role of
alloparenting in evolutionary time (e.g., Sarah Hrdy, Bentley & Meece).

For anyone interested in the anthropology of childhood, David Lancy has an
excellent book that deals with many of these issues - The Anthropology of
Childhood: Cherubs, Chattel, Changelings. And there's also Martin's book -
wait aren't I writing to Martin? So I suspect that none of this has
answered any of your questions Martin...

-greg