[Xmca-l] Re: kinship

Martin Packer mpacker@cantab.net
Mon Jan 8 08:43:58 PST 2018

Hi Greg,

The question I initially posted was really very simple: is there a language that does not have a cognate to the English word ‘family’? (I think ‘cognate’ is the correct term; what I mean is a word that would generally be translated as ‘family.’)

Now I’ve learned that Chinese (Mandarin?) has a word that might be best translated as ‘household.’ I find that interesting.

The underlying interest? Yes, I’m trying to make sense of the anthropological literature on kinship, and also the psychological literature on ‘contexts of children’s development.’ In both disciplines there seems to be a tendency to assume a definition of family along the lines of child plus biological parents. That’s what I take Malinowski to have been proposing. There are psychologists today who still assume such a definition.

But of course it doesn’t work! There are families where the kids are adopted. There are married couples where the man, for example, has a secret illegitimate child, so they do not form a family. There are single parent families. There are families in which a same-sex couple has a child who is not biologically related to them. There are families who had a surrogate mother. There are now families where the child has 3 biological parents (one provided mitochondrial dna). Note that in several of these kinds of family, there is no ‘blood’ (or genes) shared among the members.

So I started to wonder if there are societies that have nothing that they call family!

But I am also trying to figure out where anthropology is today. For example, is a distinction still drawn between family, clan, and tribe? If so, how are these defined? Sahlins moves between family and clan, for instance. I understand that his proposal is that kinship is at root mutual relations of being, the way people participate in each other’s existence. In that sense, you and I are kin, based on our relationship through xmca. But I don’t think that we are family. So what distinguishes the mutual relations of being that constitute a family?

These are the things I’m confused about. I am rapidly coming once again to the conclusion that understanding nothing of the matter.  :)

Martin

"I may say that whenever I meet Mrs. Seligman or Dr. Lowie or discuss matters with Radcliffe-Brown or Kroeber, I become at once aware that my partner does not understand anything in the matter, and I end usually with the feeling that this also applies to myself” (Malinowski, 1930)