[Xmca-l] Re: kinship

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 21:15:24 PST 2018

Michael G,

Yeah, I should have added that I find the evolutionary explanation to be a
generally useful one, and that, as I thought about it, your explanations
actually fit quite well with what Sahlins and others have described. I
think also that the idea of thinking of this in terms of double stimulation
seems like a very interesting possibility and interesting suggestion (which
I glossed over entirely! Seems that your email had two modes of stimulation
as well and I was only sharp enough to attend to one of them). It also
accords with the way that I like to think of double stimulation as sleight
of hand, as misdirection, so it is an interesting proposal to think of
symbolism as sleight of hand.

So I was obviously much to quickly dismissive in my response.

And just to give a little sense for the intellectual terrain that I'm in,
I'm arguing against what in anthropology is called a "functionalist"
approach - one in which everything (including all forms of semiosis) could
be explained in terms of how it is adaptive for the long-term survival of a
group of people. And actually I'm normally arguing for the usefulness of a
functional approach b.c. I find anthropologists these days to be far too
dismissive of what is a very useful approach.

Your sleight of hand suggestion appears at least on the surface to be very
similar to functionalist approaches that suggest that the ideational stuff
is superficial and that what matters is what it does for survival and
fitness of the individuals and the group. The trouble that anthropologists
have raised more recently is that this doesn't help us to understand the
reasons for the vast amount of variation across groups regarding how these
things are accomplished. Maybe that helps with what I'm after?

But I'm still curious why Martin got us into this mess in the first place!
And why he is interested in the concept "family". Still curious.

-greg