[Xmca-l] Re: kinship

Martin Packer mpacker@cantab.net
Sun Jan 7 16:43:20 PST 2018

I don’t think grammar or semantics can enable us to resolve the question of whether snow is important to Eskimos. We have to visit them!

It would be very interesting if the Chinese word that gets translated as ‘family’ could be applied to an childless couple because they have a ‘household’ even though they don’t have a child. We shall await James’ reply.

Martin