[Xmca-l] Re: kinship

Martin Packer mpacker@cantab.net
Sun Jan 7 16:33:12 PST 2018

Yes, I’ve been reading Sahlins. Very interesting take on kinship, along the lines of the ‘ontological turn’ in cultural anthropology. Greg can explain that..  :)

But does Sahlins define family?  (No!)

Martin

"I may say that whenever I meet Mrs. Seligman or Dr. Lowie or discuss matters with Radcliffe-Brown or Kroeber, I become at once aware that my partner does not understand anything in the matter, and I end usually with the feeling that this also applies to myself” (Malinowski, 1930)