[Xmca-l] Re: That on That

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Tue Feb 20 05:57:03 PST 2018

Revising the way an important writer of the past is read is
usually mediated by the transcribing of "new" manuscripts,
and this phenomenon is not at always bent on showing whither
the writer's life was really going.

For several generations, interpretations of Hegel hinged on
the (mature) Encyclopaedia and the Lectures of his Berlin
period, but then when people wanted to discover a less
metaphysical Hegel, the works of the more radical, more
materialist "Young Hegel" were discovered and formed the
basis for new interpretations of Hegel.

Likewise, when people wanted to break from orthodox
Soviet-style readings of Marx, "the Young Marx" was the
favourite text, and translation of the Grundrisse into
English in the 1970s undermined anti-humanist readings such
as those of Althusser. Nowadays, the decoding of his
Ethnographic Notebooks provides the opportunity for all
sorts of re-interpretations.

Foucault was rescued from the realisation that the social
theory which he popularised turned out to be lacking any
ethical basis by the "discovery" of his later works, on this
occasion.

The study of a writer's evolution is always of interest, and
as Michael says, it tends to undermine "monolithic"
interpretations of the person.

For me, I have found that it was only in about 1930 that
Vygotsky embraced the Hegelian view of concepts, key to the
formation of the ideas I most value in Thinking and Speech.
but I still find important gems in his earlier work, even
"Ape, Child and Primitive Man."

My experience has been that even though some periods of a
writer's life may prove of greater lasting value than
another - and these may be the later or the earlier phases
in this or that case, according to your theoretical
prejudices - it is usually the case that these phases can be
made sense of in a coherent way and that every phase of an
important writer's life has something to offer. An author's
last word does not negate their legacy any more than the
youth's derivative and naive scribblings undermine the
genius to be released in adult life. Try the letters of the
17-year-old Marx for example.

Andy

Andy Blunden
ttp://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm