[Xmca-l] Re: That on That

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 09:44:41 PST 2018

To tell you the truth, I am finding the notebooks a little embarrassing.
First of all, they consist of a number of things that the author probably
would not have wanted us to read, including high school jottings about the
Bible and love letters. Secondly, the historical context is presented in a
rather undifferentiated and ultimately unhelpful way: for example, how
useful is it to say that when Vygotsky attended gymnasium he became acutely
conscious of Jewish culture unless we know what kinds of Jewish culture
were available (e.g. Bundism, left-Zionism, etc.), and how useful is it to
know that when he was at university he was "ferociously opposed" to Marxism
unless we know what kinds of Marxism he was exposed to (e.g.
Freudo-Marxism, or Austro-Marxism, legal Marxism, Menshevism, or
Bolshevism). When Vygotsky cites S. Bernfeld in his gymnasium writings, he
can't really mean Siegfried Bernfeld, can he? Siegfried was only four years
older than Vygotsky! Thirdly, and most embarrassing, I find it strange to
be discussing jottings of little life like this when huge swathes of
Vygotsky's most important lifework (e.g. defectology, pedology, and
psychotechnics) remain unstranslated and undiscussed. I can't help but
wonder if this isn't part and parcel of the project of rescuing Vygotsky
from Marxism.

David Kellogg

Recent Article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity* 24 (4) 'Metaphoric,
Metonymic, Eclectic, or Dialectic? A Commentary on “Neoformation: A
Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change”'

Free e-print available (for a short time only) at

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YAWPBtmPM8knMCNg6sS6/full