[Xmca-l] Re: (non)grieving scholarship

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 16:21:48 PST 2018

Alfredo,
the article is interesting, and so is your story. As it is with all jobs,
in any one field there are only so many in academia. And sometimes, even if
we have one, it may be better to leave---you remember I told you the story
of how at one "Big 10" U.S. university, I was told that I wasn't smart
enough to make tenure. So rather than hanging around and trying, I returned
to teach at the high school level and directed a science department,
something I knew I was good at (as told by previous principals and
superintendents). When I left, I swore never to return.

And yet, after a few years, and doing research on learning in my own
classrooms to improve opportunities for the students in my care, I had
turned things around----and when I did decide to return to academia, I have
had a wonderful career, ultimately picking up a job that provided me with a
lot of freedom. I was LUCKY to get it because those who were ahead in the
listing also wanted spousal hire, and my university wasn't ready for it.
When it was my turn, I happily took the job.

Academia is not all there is. There are lots of other jobs where good
people with PhD (like you) work and are happy. I think in Germany, there
are lots of PhDs working in the media or industry (like my MA physics
colleagues, some of whom went on to get PhDs).

When I left the "Big 10" university, I never looked back; and I never wept,
even though only a year earlier it had looked like a dream job.

And many have dreams that they never achieve: look at all the artists, the
musicians and the likes who never make as much as a teacher, a decent
income for a decent living. There are many dreaming of a medal in the
olympics, and never get selected into their national teams.... Examples are
galore.

Perhaps there are not enough mentors. And sometimes mentors may not have
the appropriate advice, because what they might tell you is not workable
for you.

I wish you all the best to fall into a position where a hiring committee
will find you to be the best fit, and where you find that the place is the
best fit for you. I wish that to everyone on the list who is in your
position.

Michael