[Xmca-l] Re: That on That

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 08:05:33 PST 2018

Like Andy, I'm not a psychologist; I suppose that is a way of saying that I
am not a parent. This has a lot of disadvantages, as psychologists and
parents keep reminding me, and I am acutely conscious of that even without
being reminded of it. And yet I think that the point of view of a childless
linguist is a perfectly valid one; if we are willing to consider the
validity of the views of teachers, and of children, let along adminstrators
and politicians, on language, we ought to be able to make room for a view
of child development which foregrounds language development too. It's not
the only view: I am perfectly willing to consider views of reading aloud
that are mainly concerned with enhancing the reader/readee relationship and
not with abolishing it. But it's a valid one, and it's mine.

I am actually not so sure that my view is completely counterposed to yours:
one of the ways of abolishing the reader-readee relationship might actually
be by enhancing it.  Historically, reading silently was a very late
development (it dates, like so much else, from the Renaissance, at least in
Europe and at least according to Clifford Geertz). If so, that means that
it probably happened not in the way we imagine now--that is, the
replacement of the reader with superior forms of contextualizing devices
such as animations--but with a revolutionary seizure of the semiotic means
by people with very different interests than those who had previously
monopolized it. My own view is that a lot of this happened in the
eighteenth century, which was when children's stories and novels were
invented, and female literacy played a key role.

Yesterday I read a study which showed that even in Scandinavian countries
where the government does provide preschool and even ante-natal care to
parents, the birth of a child immediately produces a thirty percent pay gap
between men and women: the birth of a child is a financial and economic
disaster from which the mother never recovers (and from which the father
never suffers at all!)  So, paradoxically, I think that the struggle for
silent reading (and it is a struggle), in addition to all of the important
ramifications of developing inner speech and developing verbal thinking
about which Vygotsky taught us, has a key social dimension as well: the
individuation of reading skills is not just for the emancipation of the
child. Naturally, in this struggle, a dependence on phonemes is more like a
spoon or a training wheel than like a revolutionary seizure of semiotic
means.

David Kellogg

Recent Article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity* 24 (4) 'Metaphoric,
Metonymic, Eclectic, or Dialectic? A Commentary on “Neoformation: A
Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change”'

Free e-print available (for a short time only) at

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YAWPBtmPM8knMCNg6sS6/full