[Xmca-l] Re: "Context" or Object of activity

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Thu Feb 1 16:07:10 PST 2018

I can't follow your message at all, David, but perhaps a few
words of explanation will help.

Faced with, for example, a design experiment like 5thD, of
course, the project leaders and researchers are aware of the
importance of the context of the project and know that the
success or early failure of the project will depend on
events coming out of an unbounded context (s well as the
resilience and self-sufficiency of the project). The problem
is (1) how to conceptualise this unbounded context. (2) If
you want to use the method of analysis by units, you ask
yourself what is the relation between a unit of analysis and
the context of the research. But (2) answers (1).

(2) In designing the project you will analyse the unbounded
context by means of analysis by units; specifically, you
would understand that the world is made up of projects.
These projects can be conceptualised as *mediating*
elements, because the project which forms the subject matter
of the research has *collaborative relationships* with a
range of projects (the university, the local council, etc,
etc.) and these projects, when you add all of them up, are
the world. Still unbounded, but by means of analysis by
units you have an approach. The context is analysed in terms
of its units, projects, and those projects with which the
subject project collaborates are the mediating elements and
are in focus. No guarantee, but a start.

So (1) the context is not *included* in the "unit of
analysis" but is subject to analysis by units itself. The
world is not a subordinate part of one of its units.

This is in fact how Mike approached the problem.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm