[Xmca-l] Re: Bateson on thinking relatively

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 09:42:55 PST 2018

I'm with Jon: Why was this guy chopping at this tree in the first place?
(and where did he get the axe? and the tree, did he plant it?).
These are all things that can greatly affect the nature of what goes on
inside the man-axe-tree circuit (e.g., the nature and deliberateness of the
swinging will depend on the physical properties of the axe but also on the
properties of the man's motivations for hacking down the tree...).

For me, this suggests a turn to some Bronfenbrenner-like theory in which
the circuit that Bateson/Martin depicted is nested within some larger set
of circuit(s).
Or something.

-greg

--