[Xmca-l] Saussure vs Peirce

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Thu Dec 20 19:01:26 PST 2018

Getting to your first topic, now, James ...

I think it is inescapable for any of us, in everyday
interactions, to "default" to the Saussurian way of seeing
things, that is to say, signs as pointing to objects, in a
structure of differences, abstracted from historical
development. The structural view always gives us certain
insights which can be invisible otherwise. But like a lot of
things, in making this point, Saussure set up this dichotomy
with himself on one side and condemned half a century of his
followers in Structuralism to a one-sided view of the world
... which made the poststructuralists look like geniuses of
course, when they stepped outside this cage

What do you  think?

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm