[Xmca-l] language and semiotics

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Mon Dec 10 17:21:12 PST 2018

I'm re-posting this. I know there are a number of linguists
on this list. I cannot be the first person to raise this
question.

-------------------

Thank you for raising this issue, Greg. I have been
participating in an academia.edu session on my origins of
language paper concurrently with little overlap between
participants. However, I am struck by the persistence of
this claim, viz., that language is a system of signs, and
sign-use is universal in the animal kingdom (and Peirce
would correctly say: "not only animals, but all processes
without exception"). The issue is not one of Peirce's
Semiotics, but simply the view that the subjective element
is irrelevant to language.

Can some of the linguists on this list tell me how this
claim is usually dealt with. Vygotsky is clear enough (as I
read him anyway): "a word without meaning is just a sound"
but *how does linguistics more widely rebut the claim that
language, however simple* (i.e., e.g. a one-word sentence
lacking recursion) *is not simply a sign**-system*?

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm