[Xmca-l] Re: language and music

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sun Dec 2 17:13:55 PST 2018

Thanks Greg. It's good to hear that I am thoroughly behind
the game! :) Thank you.

I think Peirce's semiotics has the great advantage in that
it does /not /include the category of Subject in its triads
(e.g. sign | interpretant | object). This means that it can
be used for the analysis of /objective/ processes. When used
in this way it does not imply "thinking" at all. That virtue
of Peirce's semiotics was the basis of my objection to
James's observation. Speech and gesture has a subject.

The other minor point I would make about your very erudite
response is that I think we should not be too apologetic
about using the concept of "mind." True, mind is not a
sensible entity, but in all human interactions we deduce the
state of minds from the observable behaviour, and in fact
(scientific or everyday) human behaviour is incomprehensible
without the presumption that it is mindful to this or that
extent. Otherwise, we become Behaviourists, and Chomsky
would murder us! :)

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm