[Xmca-l] Re: Dynamic Land

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 02:43:51 PDT 2018

There is more to these consideration than "learning outcomes", otherwise
they would not be interesting and would be simply relegated to a
conventional institutional curriculum. Intentionality rather than merely
goals offers a wider canvas of consideration.

The images convey some mixed messages about the intentions at play with the
project. People are participating, yes, but how did they come together for
this, where is their initiative? Have they encountered ideas, ruminated on
them, and then come together to realise them, or have they simply fallen
into some sphere of activity in which they can fiddle about with things and
maybe add to someone else's partially gleaned plan that has convenient
blanks to be filled in?

The Mindstorms/Xerox parc/Squeak projects have depth to them which often
isn't fully realised. In programming it is actually quite (perhaps very)
rare to find people who are able and willing to implement software
according to their awareness of how they think about or engage with
objects/ideas. Even if you look at recent squeak projects you will find it
polluted with a mentality typified with Java programming (which,
incidentally, is what universities focused upon last time I looked). These
things are always rolling downhill until people who have developed
capabilities in themselves come together to realise something richer and
more holistic.

I began exploring and articulating one facet of this with respect to
working with a "hidden" aspect of using pencil and paper in considering
geometric problems, rather than working within the constraints presented
by a programming environment and programming paradigm. It is incomplete and
hopefully I will find the time to return to it sometime soon:
https://www.academia.edu/28762664/The_Idea_of_Cell-like_Objects_in_Object-Oriented_Programming

Best,
Huw