[Xmca-l] Re: Rogers day

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@ils.uio.no
Sat Aug 25 22:44:10 PDT 2018

Hi all, there is more in these thoughtful posts that I can react or add to, but I wanted to quickly respond to Annalisa's later remarks on metaphor, which highlight a possible connection between rationality and *not* thinking in metaphor. I agree with the observation that it would seem that, tacit or less tacit in most modern thinking about mind, cognition, etc, there is this idea that metaphors "eventually fail," as Annalisa puts it. As if thinking was some means only externally connected to needs and motives, a "tool" for ​achieving well-defined goals and solving problems. For only when life situations are put in such *formalistic* terms as "problem-solving" that we can say that metaphors "fail".

In the post there are already mentions to several exceptions, authors who have taken metaphors to be not just casual artifacts but rather constitutional aspects of the way mind organizes and is organized. Although I must say that when I read Lakoff & Johnson's account, "flesh" was the one thing that seemed to be most absent from it. Anyway, I just wanted to add one more author who also considered metaphor to be not just central but rather foundational to mind, Gregory Bateson. In particular, Bateson has this remarkable chapter in his unfinished book Angels Fear (edited, co-authored, and published by his daughter Mary Catherine), in which he discusses how the "language of metaphor" is more primary and far more present in nature than the language of formal logic that tends to be considered the signature of mind. But of course, for Bateson, Mind, and hence thinking, is something much larger than only "human" thinking (and in this, in my view, he resembles monist historical materialists).

I have limited time as I am travelling, but I have time to attach the chapter  which I think is revealing to the questions of these thread. Particularly revealing is the comparison he makes between "formal syllogisms" and "syllogisms of metaphor". He uses the following example:

Men die;

Socrates is a man;

Socrates will die.

That is plain logic, the one that seems "right" and that will not "fail".

The metaphor syllogism goes like this:

Grass dies;

Men die;

Men are grass.

The syllogism is of course "wrong" if assessed from the formal logic stance. But, from the stance of natural beings, of living creatures, Bateson argues, "these syllogisms are the very stuff of which natural history is made"

(need to board a plain, I attach chapter later or upon request)

Best,

Alfredo