[Xmca-l] Re: Bacon's Law

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:16:29 PDT 2018

Andy:

In the chapter you have up on the marxists.org website, Bacon is cited
three times. Seven paragraphs from the end is:

"Man is part of nature, his behavior is a natural process, and controlling
it forms like all control of nature, according to Macon’s principle that
“nature is overcome by subjection.” Not in vain does Bacon place control of
nature and control of intellect in one order; he says that the bare hand
and the mind taken in themselves do not mean much – the deed is done with
tools and auxiliary means."

"Macon" is obviously a transcription error. So the question is whether
"Macon's principle" refers to the same thing as Bacon's law in the
nineteenth paragraph. The Russian term for the nineteenth paragraph is
правилу Ф. Бэкона which could be "law" or "rule" or "principle" or
"precept", i.e. aphorism. "Macon's principle" is "принципу Бэкона", i.e.
the "principle"or "aphorism" of Bacon.

In the Notebooks, the reference you want is p. 117, an entry dated April 3,
1928. Vygotsky refers to it as his "epigraph". Zavershneva and Van der Veer
footnote it as "one of Vygotsky's favorite quotes". But of course there is
another quote from Bacon that Vygotsky cites in Thinking and Speech,
Chapter 2, p. 76:

"(PIaget) forgets Bacon’s familiar argument that true knowledge is
knowledge which traces a process back to its cause’"

As David says, take your pick!

dk

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New in *Early Years*, co-authored with Fang Li:

When three fives are thirty-five: Vygotsky in a Hallidayan idiom … and
maths in the grandmother tongue

Some free e-prints available at:

https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/7I8zYW3qkEqNBA66XAwS/full