[Xmca-l] Fwd: [COGDEVSOC] Tenure Line Faculty Position in Applied Developmental Psychology at George Mason University

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Fri Aug 17 16:35:56 PDT 2018

A job.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thalia R Goldstein <tgoldste@gmu.edu>
Date: Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 8:00 PM
Subject: [COGDEVSOC] Tenure Line Faculty Position in Applied Developmental
Psychology at George Mason University
To: "cogdevsoc@lists.cogdevsoc.org" <cogdevsoc@lists.cogdevsoc.org>

*Tenure-Line Assistant Professor in Applied Developmental Psychology*

The George Mason University Psychology Department invites applications for
a tenure-track Assistant Professor Position beginning in the Fall 2019
semester. The position is in the Applied Development program, which offers
both master’s and doctoral degrees. George Mason University has a strong
institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity
among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply
who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.

The Department of Psychology (https://psychology.gmu.edu/) has nearly 40
faculty, over 1,000 undergraduate majors, and over 200 graduate students.
We are one of the largest departments in the College of Humanities and
Social Sciences, which is the largest academic unit at George Mason. Our
department is guided by three primary foci. First, the department is
focused on fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion at all levels in our
department and, more broadly, in our field. This mission is facilitated by
our location in one of the most diverse regions of the country and by
George Mason’s status as the most diverse university in Virginia (
https://www2.gmu.edu/about-mason/diversity-mason). Second, in line with
George Mason’s Carnegie classification as a Research I university and its
strategic goal of conducting research of consequence, our department
focuses on being a prominent center for translational research. Faculty and
students in our department conduct high quality, rigorous research on
pressing problems, and work to disseminate knowledge in both academic and
non-academic circles. Third, we focus strongly on our training of doctoral
students across all five of our doctoral programs (applied developmental
psychology, clinical psychology, industrial/organizational psychology,
cognitive and behavioral neuroscience, and human factors and applied
cognition). Faculty are highly dedicated to the success of our doctoral
students, and our programs have continually increased in rankings over the
years.

*Responsibilities:*

The successful candidate is expected to maintain a highly productive and
impactful research program, teach graduate and undergraduate courses in
developmental psychology and/or quantitative methods, and direct and advise
graduate students.

*Required Qualifications:*

We are looking for individuals with a Ph.D. in developmental psychology (or
a closely related field); a strong research record; and evidence of, or
potential for, excellence at teaching/mentoring and obtaining external
funding. Candidates who will have a PhD conferred before the start of Fall
2019 classes will be considered eligible for this posting.

*Preferred Qualifications:*

The area of specialization is open; however, the department is especially
interested in applicants whose scholarship centers on conceptually and
methodologically rigorous research with diverse children and youth (e.g.,
stigma, culture, normative development, identities, and inherent
strengths), development of basic cognitive processes with an applied bent,
development during infancy–toddlerhood or adolescence, and/or human
developmental neuroscience. We are open to compelling cases of other
research areas that would fit in with the applied nature of our program and
the current faculty. All hires in the department are expected to be highly
competent in quantitative methods. Additionally, applicants who have a
history of extramural funding, a strong publication record, the ability to
mentor and teach quantitative methods, and the ability to contribute to a
culturally inclusive environment will be given preference.

*Special Instructions to Applicants:*

For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number F6168z at
http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and
upload a cover letter, research and teaching statements, and a CV. In
addition, three letters of reference should be submitted in one of the
following ways: uploaded online, e-mailed to sridley@gmu.edu, or sent via
USPS mail to Ms. Susan Ridley, ADP Search Coordinator, George Mason
University, MS 3F5, Fairfax, VA 22030-4444.

The search committee will begin reviewing applications on October 1, 2018,
and continue until the position is filled. Women, minority, and
international candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.

----

Thalia R. Goldstein, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Applied Developmental Psychology

Department of Psychology

George Mason University

4400 University Drive, 3F5

Fairfax, VA 22030 USA

703-993-6460

Director, Social Skills, Imagination, and Theatre (SSIT) Lab
<http://ssit.gmu.edu> <http://webpage.pace.edu/tgoldstein/>
<http://ssit.gmu.edu> <http://webpage.pace.edu/tgoldstein/>
<http://webpage.pace.edu/tgoldstein/>

Editor, Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity and the Arts
<http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/aca/>

Blog, The Mind On Stage
<https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mind-stage/>

Twitter, @ThaliaGoldstein <https://twitter.com/thaliagoldstein>