[Xmca-l] Re: Rogers day

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Mon Aug 13 19:22:32 PDT 2018

OK Chris,

I recall that pathology and its connection to evil is a theme for you. Evil is not a topic that interests me, largely because I find it solipsistic. There is no way out of evil, except to banish it or destroy it, like a fallen angel.

It is a Christian term and it is therefore religious, not scientific. It is also linked to the notion of original sin, which I do not find humanistic nor life affirming.

I realize the concept of evil is necessary for some as an explanation for social ills, but I don't find it apt to explain anything, it is a term for scapegoating.

Let's say there was a germ construct that could be identified as evil. We would want to find it sequester it, prod and poke it until we could find out its essence. The problem is that this does begin a bona fide witch hunt, identical to the Salem trials, The Devil's Hammer and all that jazz. Or, it becomes a pseudo science like phrenology. I might be wrong, but I'm not sure you will find much of an audience here when tossing about evil. It is a loaded term.

Whether we want to accept the nature of humans as good vs evil, it is the case that it is quite rare that pathology *generates* from positive regard. Likely because (I assert) that humans are essentially good, and so I share Carl Rogers's stance that people are good and that the culture is what creates the spectacle of pathology and its breakdowns in the human self and spirit. I started to read the letter by May and I had to stop because he said that culture is made up of people, as if to state then the evil is within us.

That makes no sense to me. Culture is something transcendent from its members, it doesn't reside IN people, it is something that exists between and among, and any single constituent could drop out (which does happen when generations die off), and the culture continues. True, there is a shift as members might leave, and new ones join, language use shifts, historical events make their mark. Culture is like an affordance, it is neither in the subject nor the environment, but present in both, in a dynamic way that activates when the circumstances are right.

Consider the door knob. It is a latent item until such time a human wants to open or close a door. Doorknobs are door culture for humans, but not for domestic pets who become obstructed and rely upon their masters to open the doors for them. I do not think that dogs and cats perceive human door culture as evil, even if they had the cognitive wherewithall for such thoughts, even though closed or slamming doors may create pathologies for them, such as caught tails or bursting bladders. But while human culture may create pathologies for pet animals, if we were to call doorknobs as the loci for evil, it would be a strange assignment to try to eradicate all doorknobs because they are evil to dogs and cats. After all there are such things as cat- and dog-doors, sans doorknobs, and voila evil and its requirement for identification and eradication disappears.

I also wanted to comment on something you had written about a "deep-down" self and inclusion. There must be an acceptance of self first before there can be inclusion. Inclusion is important, having been an indirect topic generated from this thread. But the positive regard in the unconditional ideal-sense, is what allows the child(or anyone really) to accept him or herself, and this relaxation into the self creates confidence and engenders curiosity which are necessary components for healthy social ties. Metaphorically it is like the map directory at shopping centers that say "You are here" to allow me a vantage point by which to orient to the environment.

If I do not accept myself, then I may think that I am not worthy to be included. If I do not accept myself, I might be inclined to compare myself to others and be more easily aggravated with jealousy or contempt which may provide me a cause to author anti-social behaviors that exclude myself or others.

This is why I like what Ellis said: "...he believed [patients] could, and had better, accept themselves and adopt unconditional positive regard of themselves whether or not their therapist or anyone else does." If one can't generate self acceptance in that light of positive regard, which is learned from a knowledgeable, caring other, then one will be caught in the webs of self-doubt and loathing for quite sometime.

Thank you for writing such a lot on this. I could only comment on a few and sundry items, but there is a lot in your post, I'll leave for others to comment upon.

Kind regards,

Annalisa