[Xmca-l] Re: Rogers day

Adam Poole (16517826) Adam.Poole@nottingham.edu.cn
Sun Aug 12 18:37:35 PDT 2018

Hello all,

I would like to respond to Annalisa's first post and hopefully get the conversation back to where it started. Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes. I am writing this in haste before my three-year old boy wakes up and asks me to play cars with him!

I come to Vygotsky as an experienced educator, but as a relatively new researcher, so I do not profess to be an expert on the matter. However, Vygotsky's ideas have informed a great deal of my thinking regarding education for minoritised students, so I will engage with Annalisa's dialogue through the lens of my take on Vygotsky!

One paragraph resonated with me particularly:

'I get that experiences coming from culture, language, environment, etc are perceptually received from the "outside" and then internalized but I realized there isn't really a discussion of "threat to self" in my readings by Vygotsky. There is conflict and struggle, but no thorough discussion of threat to self.'

I do not think that Vygotsky specifically dealt with 'threats to self' as such, but could not the notion of a perezhivanie not be understood as part of this dialectical process of a crisis which could also involve a threat to self? I have found Andy Blunden's take on this to be really useful in my work: a perezhivanie is a self-contained working over of a critical incident or moment in an individual's life that involves reflection, catharsis and finally integration.

I would also like to clarify that perezhvanie should be understood as both concept and psychological process. On the one hand, it exists as a concept via academic discourse; on the other, it is arguably a universal psychological process that helps to explain the meeting of mind and society.

To apply this to Vygotsky, I am reminded of the oft quoted incident of the three brothers from 'the problem of the environment'. However, while the youngest two children develop neurotic symptoms, the eldest adapts to the situation, adopting the guise of the father. In this respect, the oldest child experiences a crisis, a threat to self, but because of his development or perhaps because of the crisis is able to integrate it into his developing self. Crisis leads to development. The crisis need not be as dramatic as this: it can also take on the form of encountering a new world-view, discovering a new theory, that forces us to reevaluate our assumptions about the world.

Does Vygotsky discuss existential threats in the child? Forgive me that nothing is arising in my memory right now.

To return to problem of the environment, I would consider the children' experience of emotional and actual poverty to be existential in nature - in the sense that the children internalize an environment that leads to doubt, insecurity, etc which they then reflect back on the environment. This leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy, as it were. I have developed my own interpretation of Moises' funds of identity concept using the same interpretation of perezhivanie - namely existential funds of identity: check out the article here: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10749039.2018.1434799: forgive the shameless plug!)

Finally, 'How does Vygostkian theory account for the unconscious, and also threats to self (as an internalized structure)?' This has really got me thinking. I don't think Vygotsky theory accounts for it. I am not sure if the two are even commensurate - perhaps a discussion for another thread. What do you think, Annalisa? As I am going through a discursive phase at the moment, I would say that the unconscious could be understood as a symbolic tool - in the sense that it exists as an academic discourse which individuals can utilize in order to mediate experience.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your ideas and inviting us newbies to add our voices to the community.

Cheers,

Adam