[Xmca-l] Re: Rogers day

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Wed Aug 8 06:26:54 PDT 2018

As someone with chronic severe anxiety who has experienced panic attacks and takes a daily medication and additional pills before flying on planes and giving public talks, I would agree with Chuck’s assessment.

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of Charles Bazerman
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:57 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Rogers day

Looking back at my article I think I stated my point rather crudely, which was only made to open up a space for introducing Sullivan's concept of anxiety.  Of course Vygotsky recognized frailty and limits, as he devoted much of his work to defectology/special ed trying to understand and help people in very trying conditions.Some of his testing procedures were even used to assess psychiatric conditions.  Further he lived through times of multiple great difficulties, and he himself was sickly.  Further those of us who affiliate with work of course recognize human difficulties and frailties.  We in fact tend to be quite sensitive about that.
What I should have said was that Vygotsky approached human development positively and optimistically, looking at potentials and mechanisms for growth, rather than focusing on the obstacles people felt within themselves. This characterized his approach to disabilities, where he considered how people could grow under whatever set of conditions they experienced ad how others could support that growth.  The obstacles he did discuss were largely those of how the disabled were treated by others, inhibiting the opportunities to growth.
So the point I was trying to make was that he did not offer any extended analysis that revealed mechanisms of psychological difficulties, such as anxiety--or at least that I was aware of.  Sullivan, however, did offer an extended analysis of anxiety, and presented it as one of the major components of the organization of the self.  He would agree with you that anxiety could be quite an obstacle to development, interfering with our emotional and cognitive activity, even immobilizing us or fostering delusions, Confronting and alleviating anxiety was an important process to facilitate growth.   But that alleviation was not through denial of the anxiety but through recognition, social support that eased anxiety in relations which one had previously found fraught, and acting with focus despite the anxiety, in the long term extending the domains we can act successfully in and decreasing inappropriate anxiety.

Chuck
----
History will judge.