[Xmca-l] Re: Rogers day

Charles Bazerman bazerman@education.ucsb.edu
Sat Aug 4 18:46:59 PDT 2018

Annalisa,

In 2001 I published an article in MCA

Anxiety in Action: Sullivan’s Interpersonal Psychiatry as a Supplement to
Vygotskian Psychology

MIND, CULTURE, AND ACTIVITY, 8(2), 174–186
In it I discuss Sulllivan's theory of the formation of the self-system,
with its varius protective systems and the role of anxiety in the
maintenance of the self-system.
Here is the abstract.

Psychiatric issues such as the formation of intimate bonds, personality,
anxiety, and antisocial behavior

tend to have little place in Vygotskian and neo-Vygotskian studies, giving
the impression that all

humans are competent and cooperative participants in social interaction.
Nonetheless, Vygotsky himself

was interested in psychiatric issues and contributed to psychiatric
practice. Harry Stack Sullivan’s

interpersonal psychiatry is compatible with and adds to socio-historical
psychology an account of the

origins and consequences of anxiety and the anxiety system. Sullivan
provided a Vygotsky-like account

of a person trying to grow into the social world he or she is born into and
trying to satisfy needs

with available people, themselves already socialized, enculturated, and
formed as selves. Anthony B.

Gabriele’s little-known practical elaborations of interpersonal psychiatry,
further, are consistent with

situated micro-analytical approaches to learning within social contexts.

I have published on Sullivan and his psychiatric project elsewhere,
including

Practically human: The pragmatist project of the interdisciplinary journal
Psychiatry
Linguistics and Human Sciences  vol 1.1 2005: 15–38
In which I discuss Vygotsky's earliest publications in English in this
journal.

All these publications are available on my home page
http://bazerman.education.ucsb.edu

Chuck
----
History will judge.