[Xmca-l] Re: Thank you to Peter

Martin Packer mpacker@cantab.net
Thu Apr 26 16:10:49 PDT 2018

I was thinking something similar, Henry. This seems to me one of those rare occasions where Vygotsky doesn’t have it quite right. I spend quite a bit of time watching kids walking with adults, because it’s a phenomenon I find quite fascinating. A child using a table for support while starting to walk is quite different from the ways that adults will actively help a child to walk, performing functions, such as balance, that the child is not yet capable of alone. Then, when the child *is* capable of walking alone, the adults have to be even more active: everyone knows that a toddler will head off in any direction that attracts their interest: now adults need to be what I think Bowlby called an ‘external ego.’

Martin