[Xmca-l] Re: The Complementarity of Vygotsky and Halliday

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Tue Apr 17 13:14:46 PDT 2018

The link for subscribing to the MAKH discussion/symposium in Mike's e-mail is broken in two lines. In case this creates difficulties to use it, I copy it below in one line :

Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of mike cole <mcole@ucsd.edu>
Sent: 17 April 2018 19:38
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l]  The Complementarity of Vygotsky and Halliday

Dear Colleagues,

Even before the death of Michael Halliday, I have been beginning to
organize a discussion on the joint work of Vygotsky and Halliday. In this
case I am acting

in my capacity as "special project" editor of *MCA*. I would like to create
either a seminar or perhaps a special issue, of MCA on the topic of the
complementarity of Vygotsky and Halliday. It is a project that is the
personal concern of several members of xmca, and beyond who share a common
interest in the study of langugage, culture, mind and development.

The question is, how to organize such a "joint project" symposium? I do not
think

it was to expect it to happen on xmca. There are too many topics there, and
not everyone will be interested. And if everyone is interested we are still
likely to wander off on anoth interesting, related, topics, chaining our
way through time.

But this time we need a product. This product, of course, may contain essays

that argue that there is no such complementarity, and those too, would be
welcome.

To enable creation of such a product, based upon the materials turned up,
discussed, and created in the discussion, Bruce has kindly set up for us a
new

discussion list called xlsv-makh. The process of signining up begins with
the url given by Bruce below. We are asking people to subscribe in a way
that will allow

us to keep out bots and provide an archive of the discussion including the
common study materials collected.

Bruce explains it this way.

 Just tell people to go to https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailm
an/listinfo/xlsv-makh-l and follow the instructions for subscribing.

Unsubscribing will be on the same web page.

*NOTE: The https:// is a link for anyone whose file has lost the blue color
of a live linke*

I have signed up. Everyone is welcome. Please post to whatever lists you

on that you think relevant, such as the AERA sig, ISCAR, etc.

As a kind of introduction to the idea of the complementarity LSV and MAKH I
am attaching a paper by Gordon Wells. Its sore of a candidate for starting
discussion. Those uncertain of whether to sign up or not might check out
the paper to see if you are interested.

Mike Cole