[Xmca-l] Re: Article for discussion: Facebook in Brazilian schools

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Tue Apr 17 06:51:09 PDT 2018

What then is the relationship between the objects of
*successive *protests, Monica?

One of the reasons that the gun control protests by
schoolkids in the US is so welcome, is that we suspect that
further activism by the same social groups who were
mobilised by the NRA/Congress refusal to respond to the
school shooting, around other issues in the years ahead.
Certainly, in the way the kids acted, it was clear that they
were picking up all the intersectionality of recent
movements, as well as demonstrating consciousness of the
Civil Rights movement.

Unlike a good lawyer, I'm asking you a question, Monica,
that I don't have the answer for. But I still think that
naively taking it that the self-reported object of an
activity to be the motive for all the actions composing it
is false insofar as it is meaningful and empty insofar as it
is true. Also, the concept people have as they construct an
object undergoes continual change in the course of the
activity and its interaction with everything else going on.
Our conception of the project (what you call "system of
activity") has to be sensitive to this shifting of objects.
Social transformations never happen because everyone had a
blue print at the start, and yet they do happen. Paracelsus
and Marx were exaggerating the difference between bees and
humans, I think.

What do you think?
Andy

Andy Blunden