[Xmca-l] Re: FW: Fyi

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sun Apr 15 12:29:58 PDT 2018

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Peter

The conclusion coincides with my own view, not only of LSV, but of many of
his contemporaries

"So many Jewish young men, who had just torn themselves away from the Bible
and the Talmud, went to fight and die for the peasant people for whom, it
would seem, they just knew that they labored and suffered. They deeply
believed in the soul of these people just because they were prepared to
believe in truth and good, in the ultimate triumph of justice. It was the
interaction with the prophets, with the great commandments of the whole
Jewish culture that prepared them for it. (cited in Budnitskiy, 1996: 28)

Vygotsky was one of these Jewish young men who sought justice and the
general good in every historical circumstance. As a man of his time, he
acutely felt the atrocities committed by various regimes and having found
the ‘bright light of atheism’, he continued to search for the truth – no
longer in Judaism but in Marxist science, in which he invested hopes that
did not come true in his youth.

(Nor later, so far as I know)

If you are reading this note, Bella, might you share your opinion? You
cited several times in the text.

mike