[Xmca-l] Re: thoughts on Mathematics of Mathematics by Wolff-Michael Roth

Bill Kerr billkerr@gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 23:25:37 PDT 2018

ps. Addition to this comment from me above:
Papert's framing of the turtle as an "object to think with" and
incidentally also Bruner's similar conception of "doing with images makes
symbols" do represent a learning theory which combines the kinesthenic with
the visual with the symbolic. Does that gel with your learning theory? From
my reading it does partly but you would be chary about the symbolic part,
I'm not sure.

On page 49, FN 31 Michael cites 2 papers about the emergence of signs from
hands on science. This seems to me to be compatible with Bruner's approach
which he summed up with the slogan "doing with images makes symbols" and
also with Seymour's "object to think with" even though he didn't spell out
the signs when he said that.

My speculation here (to be shot down probably); Michael Roth's theory and
Papert / Bruner theory cover the same ground and reach similar conclusions
but they have different names