[Xmca-l] Re: thoughts on Mathematics of Mathematics by Wolff-Michael Roth

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 05:47:28 PDT 2018

Carol,
Vygotsky was onto something when he turned from meaning to sense, which he
recognized infants to be oriented to from very early on. A theory of sense
existed before Vygotsky died (i.e. Schütz 1932), but unfortunately the
English translation is very bad (similar to the 1962 translation of
Thinking and Speech). In it, "meaning" is but one of the phases of sense
(this is what Vygotsky wrote in chapter 7).

Once you have a sense-giving field, WORDS (and other things) make sense.
(Please note, words (actions...) make sense, rather than people making
meaning....

The problem is if you think of words as things, then meaning is a thing,
and you are in a morass of intellectualism that Vygotsky attempted to
escape near the end of his life----e.g. when he defined the minimum unit /
identity of person and environment (perezhivanie)

Unfortunately he had no time to continue thinking along the lines of that
minimum unit. Indeed, others already had fleshed out such an approach by
the time Vygotsky only began thinking about it. (I am thinking of the
contemporary triad  Dewey, Mead, and Whitehead)

Michael