[Xmca-l] thoughts on Mathematics of Mathematics by Wolff-Michael Roth

Bill Kerr billkerr@gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 19:15:23 PDT 2018

One interpretation of Vygotsky (Wolff-Michael Roth) argues that all
knowledge is socially constructed and that ethnomethodology, paying
detailed attention in the now, is the best or only way of detecting and
evaluating what is going on . Human activity can’t be reduced to individual
actions. Anything individual originates in the social, be it words,
mathematics or by implication computer science (mentioned not in the
original but because it is a current interest of mine). Moreover internal
representations or schemas seem to be denied because that would be a
capitulation to dualism, emphasising brain / mind activity whereas the real
deal is an integrated thinking body.

This world view is critical of other learning theories be they
behaviourist, cognitivist, enactivist or constructivist.

The question that I want to explore here is the pragmatic one of whether
and how learning theory (an abstraction) makes a difference in practice,
for busy, hard working (usually overworked) teachers. An alternative
epistemology/ies which might appeal more in practice to real teachers under
pressure is an eclectic one centred around the issue of “what works”.

I believe I am better read on learning theory than most teachers. See
http://learningevolves.wikispaces.com/learning%20theories

Up until now I've developed an eclectic / pragmatic approach to putting
learning theory into practice. Take something from Seymour Papert's
constructionism, something from Dan Willingham's cognitivism, something
from Dan Dennett's behaviourism, something from Andy Clarke’s enactivism
and roll them altogether in an eclectic mix. The authors in this list could
be multiplied. My underlying belief was that it was not possible to develop
a unified learning theory, that human learning was too complex for that. As
Marvin Minsky once said in 'Society of Mind', "the trick is there is no
trick", I think meaning no overarching way in which human's learn.

One big surprise in reading Wolff-Michael Roth is his serious attempt to
put an end to such eclectism and develop what appears to be a unfied
learning theory.