[Xmca-l] Re: conditional response

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:58:14 PDT 2018

Yes, I remember this point, and it's something we've discussed in our
translation group at some length.

Here's what I think. Suppose I am writing for my students. They will not
know what a conditional response is. They will think it differs from what
they have always called a conditioned response. I could explain that they
have been taught wrongly, and that they have learned wrongly, and that the
actual translation should be "conditioned response".

They will wonder what the difference is. They will soon figure out that in
fact I mean exactly the same thing, at least in terms of my ideational
(representational) meaning: I am talking (they will think) about a dog
salivating at the sound of a bell.So they will wonder what the
interpersonal intention of my correction is. Because my students are Korean
students, and they are quite sensitive both to the value of tradition and
to the value of apparently unmotivated attempts to undermine it, they will
assume that I am being arrogant and making their lives more difficult than
necessary to fill an otherwise empty ego. And because I have lived here for
twenty years, I will not say that they are wrong, not least because if
there is a difference, it actually speaks in favor of the "mistranslation".

"Conditional" will not take an agent, that is, we do not say "conditional
by me". "Conditioned" does take an agent: I conditioned a response, ergo
the response was conditioned by me. In Vygotsky's 1930 model (roughly, what
we read in HDHMF, with the four levels of higher behavior in Chapters 3 and
4) the difference between natural instinct and enculturated habit is not in
the response at all, but rather in the conditions--natural or
artificial--that evoke that response. In the case of instinct, the
conditions are merely conditional--where the condition is food, there is
salivation. But in the case of habits, the response is conditioned: there
is always the possibility of a "by", whether to indicate the
instrumentality or the actor.

The "conditioned by" response, not the conditional response, was how humans
transformed hunting and gathering into herding and farming. Awareness of
this agency enabled Vygotsky to transform an essentially physiological
theory, reflexology, into a cultural-historical one, which became CHAT.
This wasn't his last step, but it was a crucial one.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

Recent Article in *Early Years*

The question of questions: Hasan’s critiques, Vygotsky’s crises, and the
child’s first interrogatives
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09575146.2018.1431874>

Free e-print available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/6EeWMigjFARavQjDJjcW/full