[Xmca-l] Re: digital immersion mongrel Vygotsky

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Sun Apr 8 15:29:28 PDT 2018

Thanks Bill,

So would I be right to say for you immersion is generally stable mobile technology?

So now I'm trying to get a handle on what you are trying to do. It seems to me every 'digital' innovation in education needs to answer a fundamental question,

Are you looking to use digital technologies to increase learning in a quantitative way or are you looking to use ideas on human learning to transform how and even why we educate in a qualitative way through the use of digital tools.

The first suggests emphasis on development of applications that address traditional learning outcomes. Personally I think there is often an almost messianic quality to this.  All we have to do is develop the right app. While I am impressed for instance by the organization you cited Learning Equality they seem to fall into this quality, and the little I know of Elliot Solloway (which isn't much and I may be wrong) he takes the same approach.

In the latter you start with a general framework for learning, what do you want to get to, what are the possibilities. There has been a tug in this direction since the Papert ideas you mention in the other message to Mike, but it is a difficult and frustrating project. You start with the ideas on how humans learn and then you move forward from there developing a curricula that takes advantages of the digital possibilities and then you work on platforms.  I think as you suggest the process needs to be flexible taking into account cultural, local and even teacher belief system.  I am figuring this is where you want to go with mongrel Vygotskianism (I have to admit I never heard that before). There are other possibilities like Pariticpatory Action Research which might have better results that Westernized ethnomethodology (might not).

So I guess my question is how are you looking to pull your three 'teething rings' together.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of Bill Kerr
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2018 5:13 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: digital immersion mongrel Vygotsky

hi Michael Glassman,

I took my eye off the IT ball for a few years doing other things, getting back to it now. What I'm faced with really is too many balls to juggle on my own and so am looking around to recruit  team members.

By digital immersion I mean that the poor need their own hardware, you don't learn computing by visiting a lab twice a week. In practice this seems to have evolved into a situation where the computer they carry in their pocket (mobile phone) is forbidden in school and vanilla applications tediously rolled out (MS Office etc.). Many aboriginal Australians in central Australia don't have computers at home and their phone is shared.
Then groups setup to bridge the digital divide will bring ipads to them, do some training and then take them away. I see this as falling well short of what should be done.

>From my limited knowledge Apple has a big influence in Australia too
particularly through ipads. Quite a bit of my inspiration re open source and cheap hardware comes from American exemplars.

I mentioned Learning Equality  https://learningequality.org/ which is an American based group. So far their main work has been to combine the cheap hardware (raspberry pi, tablets etc.) with the Salman Khan Academy maths programs. I need to look more into what they are doing.

Elliot Soloway https://www.imlc.io/ (intergalactic mobile) has developed a suite of collaboration software to be run on device agnostic browser based BYOD. Scroll to the bottom of his FAQ page to read his position papers https://www.imlc.io/faq

Mark Guzdial has been talking up teaching computer science using cheap hardware approach on his blog for some time, eg.
https://computinged.wordpress.com/2017/06/14/using-tablets-to-broaden-access-to-computing-education-elliot-soloway-and-truly-making-cs-for-all/

Have I answered your questions?