[Xmca-l] Re: sense and emotion

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 16:58:52 PDT 2018

Well, David's comments consisted of two parts. The first part was pretty
incoherent--I just objected that they hadn't read the chapter the way I
did, with an emphasis on what Halliday calls "logogenesis" as opposed to
phylogenesis and ontogenesis. After some reflection, I wrote something a
little better, in which I argued that the distinction between "phasal" and
"semantic" was key to the chapter. When I think back at what I wrote,
though, the first part is really reproaching them for not reading Halliday
and the second part for not reading Saussure. Obviously, the second part is
a little fairer than the first...but in a hundred years I daresay things
will be the other way around: Saussure will only be of historical interest,
but Halliday himself will be part of our own living history.

I always wondered about that, Mike. In the preface to Mind in Society, it
says the first four chapters are from Tool and Sign, but the fourth chapter
is clearly from the end of Chapter Two of HDHMF. Vygotsky says:

Так, Д. Дьюи, один из крайних представителей прагматизма, развивший идеи
инструментальной логики и теории познания, определяет язык как орудие
орудий, перенося определение руки, данное Аристотелем, на речь.

So it's not about the "tongue" at all--it's about "language" and then about
"speech". And what's the difference?

Here I think Peter's got a point. The difference between "znachenie" and
"smysl" is semantic. But semantics, according to Halliday, has a way of
"rising to the concrete"--that is, all the patterns, from lexicogrammar to
phonology to phonetics, can be semantically motivated one way or another.
So for example at the level of lexicogrammar, there are some words that are
closer to "smysl", because they are so embedded in the context of situation
(these are the ones favored in infant speech and early childhood, the
"this" and the "that" and the "there" and "here" and "it" and "the" and so
on, whose reference is immediate and constantly changing as a result). But
so many of these words, iin Englsh, begin with voiced interdental "th".
Why?

Well, it's not just Tibetans and native Americans who point with their
lips, Henry! There is a fair amount of pointing with the tongue going on
here. But less trivially, I think you'll find that sense is linked to
VOWELS (as well as to intonation and stress) whle signification is carried
disproportionately in consonants. Because there is meaning being made at
every level, we can see, at every level, Vygotsky's distinction between
sense and signification (which is really identical to Voloshinov's between
"theme" and "meaning").

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

Recent Article in *Early Years*

The question of questions: Hasan’s critiques, Vygotsky’s crises, and the
child’s first interrogatives
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09575146.2018.1431874>

Free e-print available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/6EeWMigjFARavQjDJjcW/full