[Xmca-l] Re: April 3

Peg Griffin Peg.Griffin@att.net
Wed Apr 4 21:26:38 PDT 2018

A picture is attached from our Library of Congress archive.
In the twenties and thirties, the NAACP used a banner from its Fifth Avenue office window to spread the word of outside the south and outside the black community when lynchings took place:
“A man was lynched yesterday.”
Anyone have a Fifth Avenue window for hanging a banner: “The police shot an unarmed person yesterday.”

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 12:10 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] April 3

For those of you who have never watched Martin Luther speak, I recommend that you check out the PBS news program that is playing tonight, the eve of his murder.
It is called "The Road to Memphis."

Particularly relevant to the conversation on activism here on xmca is his absolute refusal to allow those around him to carry weapons. The program gives you some idea of how he could live with the knowledge that he was publicly in one or more killers' sights as he spoke.

Check it out. The impact of his words-as-spoken-in-context are even more powerful than their appearance in print in Peg's earlier note.