[Xmca-l] Re: The Becomeliness of the Young

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 16:55:51 PDT 2018

Dude,
I was going to go for a walk, having done more thinking today than usuall because I get literally feverish. But let’s play in a child’s way, without exactly naming the game, but implying it with gesture in language. With emails so much dependent on timing and sequencing of the posts, the calls and responses. This is syntagmatics and forms its own field and vice versa. This is our dialog relating our takes on this and that. Pointing subtly (ha!), like my Navajo friends, with their lips slightly pointing by pouting, at the name of the game, thus telling a story instead. Here’s a move, a gesture for you, that Halliday and Langacker can, through us, talk to each other, even if neither one of us can talk respectfully (at least yet) with Chomsky. I have already been humbled on this chat for my presumptiousness in critcizing Chomsky. I confess anyway that I don’t entirely understand what you said about Chomsky. If I understood better, maybe I could understand how I could talk to him without making a damn fool of myself. So, I won’t name the game, but that’s my drash on what it is we’re playing. “drash” in Yiddsh, is a clipping from Herbrew “midrash”, translated broadly as “exegesis.” All of this gesturing makes me think that when we say syntagmatic it is not two dimensional. Not just sequencing along a single temporal line, but across zeitgeists. All of these nods to linguistics should not mean we are playing at linguistics. That would be naming the game.

Finally, or this will never end, I appreciated your whole damned email. Got to go for that walk!

Henry