[Xmca-l] Re: AERA Session: Being/Becoming an Activist Scholar: Lessons From Cultural-Historical Activity Research

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 12:00:56 PDT 2018

Francine,
I was wannabe Weatherman in Cuba cutting sugar cane in the fall of 1969 wiIth the Venceremos Brigade at a small encampment called Aguacate. The brigade was a group of young Americans, I was the next-to oldest at 26. The oldest one was Vic, who had fought in the Spanish Civil War in the Venceremos Brigade (yes, us sugar cane cutters named ourselves in their honor) that started in 1936 and ended three years latter with the utter defeat of democracy, thanks in part to the betrayal by Stalin, who thought Russia had a better chance of survival if communism didn’t attract too much attention internationally. (Remember this was before his short-lived pact with Hitler.) Vic was still at his internationalist ways 30 years latter, when he cut sugar can alongside us young people. Things were very tense in the camp, largely due to the efforts of a group of Weathermen looking for more recruits to their cause back in the U.S. I didn’t make the cut, in fact was suspected of being an infiltrator of some kind from the right. I wasn’t really, though I was naive about the politics that was going on. I confess that naivite has been a a problem my whole life, though thanks to good luck I have survived to wince about very often. I think that most of the Weathermen were really good people, but at least one, named Tom, I believe was no better than Trump is now. I won’t say evil, but a prisoner to evil ideas. A potential in all of us. Tom said, as he attached me (verbally), “Stalin was right.” I am guessing now that other Weathermen were also prisoners to this kind of thinking. I believe that their thinking may have appealed in a factual way to other white kids, mostly male, but it lacked the grounding of a Black Lives Matter#, MeToo#, and the Civil Rights movement led by Martin. That grounding makes a movement not only well grounded in fact, but also grounded in real-life experience. There’s a Russian word for this, a term used all the time on the chat…I am having a senior moment. In English I would say true, based on fact and authenticity. I would cut Black Lives Matter# and ME Too# a lot of slack as being true, precisely because they seem authentic, not just factual. If you get my drift. I suppose Stalin, back from the grave, would call the Weathermen adventurist. But I don’t think either Stalin, nor the Weathermen, were authentic. They were phonies. Stalin was just a more efficient phony. The Weathermen only ended up killing themselves. It’s probably a good time to stop. I am thinking of the song by Justin Timberlake and Chris Stapleton “Say Something”, which is really a song about keeping your mouth shut. Oh well. Remember what I said about naivite. I guess I’m just wincesome guy.
Henry