[Xmca-l] Re: AERA Session: Being/Becoming an Activist Scholar: Lessons From Cultural-Historical Activity Research

Peg Griffin Peg.Griffin@att.net
Sun Apr 1 07:41:04 PDT 2018

Henry,
Reminiscent? Prescient? Embedded in the zeitgeist?
"I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land. So I'm happy tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man."  Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
In a few days, is the 50th anniversary of his assassination on April 4, 2018 during his work on the the sanitation workers' strike.
PG

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of HENRY SHONERD
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2018 7:28 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: AERA Session: Being/Becoming an Activist Scholar: Lessons From Cultural-Historical Activity Research

Greg, David, and All,
Let’s keep on eerie for a moment: I just had a recurrent dream, I awoke at 4 in the morning and, as is often the case, I won’t be getting back to sleep for another half hour. The dream is that I am on a public mode of transportation, this time a bus, and I am feverishly headed somewhere, not knowing exactly where, but in this case it’s west (I’m pretty sure) on Central, yes Central, the name of the main east/west thoroughfare here in Albuquerque, but not Albuquerque in my dream. I have just made a mad scramble to get on this bus. Suddenly it turns south, which is not the direction I want to go. I scoot forward and ask the driver if this is where we will stay headed and he assures me we’ll be back going west in a minute. Suddenly the bus gets an unobstructed view from a cliff that overlooks a beautiful panaorama. Then just as suddenly we are edging over the edge of the cliff. Drivers change, the danger is averted, we’re on our way again, and I wake up. This is a recurrent dream, though it takes place in various places. This one reminds me (now that I am awake) of a small city in Spain I visited with my wife and son in 2009 famous for bullfighting, on the way west from Seville to Lisbon, In my waking life we had a destination, in my dream I did not.

This gets us back to the subject line with Berzemenov. David juxtaposes motives and outcomes. Is life, either individually or collectively, about the journey or the destination? Do we have to know AND agree, either individually or collectively, with the destination?

I’m headed back to bed. I’m debating whether to send this post. If I do, I will probably regret it. But I promise, either way, that I am not making up the dream. It really happened. And it is a recurrent dream: headed somewhere, don’t know where and never find out before I wake up (in this case) or go to another dream or back into a different stage of sleep. What’s different about this version of the dream is how beautiful a moment I had at that overlook. The same sort of the beautiful moment at our march in Albuquerque last weekend, a waking moment we were sharing as young people, motivated by the recurrent, senseless slaughter in schools here in the U.S., were trying to wake up the adults. When will we wake up?

Henry