[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel's Headstand

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 14:48:03 PDT 2017

In any case, it's not in Philosophy of Right, although there Hegel does
write about the French Revolution at some length and with considerable
asperity.

Gramsci is essentially a linguist and not a sociologist. That explains
his sensitivity to "bookish" modes of expression as opposed to
conversational registers in Hegel.

Anyway, we can see from this little example from Chapter Two of Thinking
and Speech just what Vygotsky meant by "mastering the whole of Marx's
method" and "writing psychology's Capital" rather than simply stitching
quotes together.

In the pedology (end of Early Childhood, and also the passage on the
omnirelevance of speech at the end of Crisis at One), Vygotsky refers to
Marx with a certain apophasis, to say that he could cite Marx here--but it
would be out of context and people might assume that it is sufficient proof
of what he wants to say about speech--still, it would show the penetrating
quality of Marx's method. That's what he's doing in Chapter Two: citing
Marx by not citing him. Gramsci does a lot of that too.

David Kellogg