[Xmca-l] Re: Garbage and Hope

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 15:57:56 PDT 2017

Thanks, Rod and Mike. I think the angel's gaze isn't really shifty, but
strabismatic (that is, cross-eyed), something often seen in infants.
Nevertheless, he's not gazing fixedly. According to Benjamin, though, he's
facing the wind, with his back to the future--like a reporter in a
hurricane.

Benjamin gets a lot of things spectacularly wrong, especially things having
to do with hope and facing the wrong way (you remember that he committed
suicide just hours before the Spanish authorities opened the border to let
his companions through). One of the first things he ever wrote for
publication, upon arriving at the University of Berlin and being made
president of the Freie Studentenschaft, was this:

.“One of the most candidly mendacious pretexts for extracting science from
all of its obligations is to suppose that it should permit X or Y to find a
job. Now, a job follows so little from science that it (science—DK) might
even be said to exclude it (a job—DK). For the essence of science will not
suffer being separated from itself to the least degree: in one way or
another, it obliges every researcher to make a teacher of himself, but it
never imposes upon him the professional public forms of the doctor, the
jurist or the university professor."

So Benjamin thinks that science will make you a teacher, but not a
professional, or even an academic. Very well. But perhaps this will happen
anyway, when we make our schools into places of learning? Not so!

“One accomplishes nothing good in referring to institutes that permit one
to acquire titles, degrees, and opportunities in life and in work as places
for science. We are not refuting this statement in the least by objecting
that the State must today educate doctors and lawyers and teachers. We are
only underlining the crushing immensity of the task which consists in
substituting a community of knowing subjects for a corporation of
functionaries and diploma holders.”

So there’s a fundamental contradiction between producing a corporation of
diploma holders and producing a community of knowers. Why so? Perhaps the
problem is simply one of inner motivation: students who are motivated by
diplomas are very different from students motivated by knowledge? Not so!

“We are only underlining to what point, in the development of their
professional apparatus, by knowledges and skills, the actual sciences have
lost that unitary origin that they owed to the idea of knowledge, because
this origin has become for them a mystery if not a fiction.”

Aha! It has to do with the unitary origin of knowledge--something lost in
the strongly classified disciplines today. In Quebec City, Carrie and I sat
through a longish presentation by Mohammed Elhammoumi and two Brazilian
Colleagues on keeping the integrity of Vygotsky's work in a conservative
age (i.e. a strongly classified one). The Brazilian comrades were good (and
of course Mohammed himself was spot on, as usual) but everybody seemed to
think that the integrity of Vygotsky's work lies in its boundary-breaking
theory.

I think that's a professor's view rather than a practitioner's, and I worry
that it just substitutes stratification for classification. I remarked that
we need ways of getting our students to think critically about the music of
Taylor Swift and Britney Spears.  Carrie thought it shouldn't be too hard
to do this, but I think it's harder than it sounds, particularly for the
kinetic arts. The music/video composite is designed not to be prized apart
or thought about at all. In that sense it really is, like Benjamin, facing
the wrong way. Development, after all, is not so much about growth as about
differentiation.

David Kellogg

PS: Hi, Carrie--looking forward to reading from you!

dk