[Xmca-l] Re: Unit of Analysis

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 06:39:40 PDT 2017

I thought that the following quotation from Vygotsky (2010) (J Russ and
East Europ Psych), p. 93–94 is relevant to the present discussion and the
exchange between David and Andy. Michael

The psychophys[ical] problem*** (the nub of the question of the spiritual

and the material in human consciousness) consists—(if it is viewed not in
the

abstract-static (Fechner, Spinoza), i.e., a parallelistic correlation of
previously

severed attributes—thinking and extension but rather in a
function[al-]dynamic

and concrete context[)]—not in the relation between the brain and the psyche

(whether thought can move a cerebral atom 1 micron without expending
energy),

but in the relation between thinking and speech, in which the latt[er] is

its materialization, its objectivization, its embodiment, a continuous
transition

of the external to the internal and the internal to the external, a real
rather than

imaginary unity and struggle of opposites (m[ay]b[e] the main thing in the

development—historical—of consciousness[)]. Cf. Marx: the materiality of

consciousness in its link to language.

Wolff-Michael Roth, Lansdowne Professor

Applied Cognitive Science
MacLaurin Building A567
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, V8P 5C2
http://web.uvic.ca/~mroth <http://education2.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/>

New book: *The Mathematics of Mathematics
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/new-directions-in-mathematics-and-science-education/the-mathematics-of-mathematics/>*