[Xmca-l] Re: Unit of Analysis

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 20:19:43 PDT 2017

Not everyone agrees:

(Mikhailov 2001, p. 20) "Hence, the external corporeal existence of other
people, their real-objective behavior, their activity with things, their
voices and gestures and, consequently, the object-related nature
of all the conditions of their lives (all that is other), *is not mediated*
for individuals to become aware of them by the pure meanings
and senses of so many physically external words,26 but are
themselves the reality of affect and sense for each of us."

AND

(Mikhailov 2001, p. 27) Everything
to which the child begins to relate in himself—close adults,
their speech, and consequently the “language” of household objects
addressed to him, the “language” of the whole of nature around
him, in a word, everything that his organs of perception assimilate
together with the subjectivity of adults—all these things are given
to the child *not as an ensemble of mediators* between the child and
nature, but, in fact, as subjectively his own; for all of these things
are subjectively “everyone’s.”

Mediationism has become something like a religion---Alfredo and I have a
piece in Integrative Psychological and Behavioral Science, suggesting why
we do not need the concept,

Michael

Wolff-Michael Roth, Lansdowne Professor

Applied Cognitive Science
MacLaurin Building A567
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, V8P 5C2
http://web.uvic.ca/~mroth <http://education2.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/>

New book: *The Mathematics of Mathematics
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/new-directions-in-mathematics-and-science-education/the-mathematics-of-mathematics/>*