[Xmca-l] Re: ISCAR experiences, reflections, etc

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Thu Sep 7 14:46:07 PDT 2017

Thanks for sharing, Antti!
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Antti Rajala <ajrajala@gmail.com>
Sent: 07 September 2017 20:12
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: ISCAR experiences, reflections, etc

Thanks a lot for these elaborations. Very inspiring discussion. I am also
reminded of Andy's effort to revise Leontjev's ideas through the lens of
more contemporary theorizing of society. This I see as a sign of a living
tradition.

Someone asked for the abstracts of the Ratner and Teo session in a private
message. You can find the whole: http book of abstracts at
www2.rikkyo.ac.jp/web/istp2017/downloadfiles/ISTP2017proceedings0808web.pdf

Below is Teo's abstract

Best, Antti

Presentation 2: With Marx, Beyond Marx: Elements of a critical theory of
subjectivity
Thomas Teo, York University, tteo@yorku.ca

Marx applied historical thinking to his own theory and suggested that one
should not use his theory as a dogma. Yet, he also set out basic principles
for a theory of subjectivity with his emphasis on what I would call
socio-subjectivity and the notion that intra-subjectivity (the focus of
traditional psychology) as well as inter-subjectivity (emphasized by
hermeneutic, dialogical, and some phenomenological approaches) are part of
socio-subjectivity. The theoretical task is to connect and understand the
relationship between these three forms of subjectivity. But
socio-subjectivity itself is not a static entity but changes according to
transformations in society, economy, and culture. As Marx understood, a
theory of subjectivity needs to understand the reality of capitalism, and
one should add now, neo-liberalism. Changes in capitalist society such as
capital as power and modes of exchange, in addition to modes of production,
new forms of dispossession in conjuncture with new embodiments of identity,
need to be accounted for. Neo-liberalism produces new forms of ideology,
and a strong case is made, to keep to a Marxist concept of ideology,
despite the criticisms of false consciousness since poststructuralism. It
is argued that living in a post-truth world it is crucial to keep to the
concept of ideology. However, I suggest that ideology needs to be augmented
by a concept of bodiology, with the body as carrier of distorted images. It
is suggested that Marx needs to be read, understood, and applied
historically, which would be Marx’s own intention. Ideas for traditional
and new forms of resistance are discussed.