[Xmca-l] Re: ISCAR experiences, reflections, etc

Jaakko Hilppö jaakko.hilppo@helsinki.fi
Sun Sep 3 08:37:34 PDT 2017

Hi,

Thanks Alfredo and Dana for your reflections on this years ISCAR conference. I also attended the full conference and took also part in the pre-conference workshops on Monday. All in all I enjoyed the conference immensely for the intellectual stimulation of not just during the keynotes, symposiums and presentations, but also for the discussion I had the good fortune to be part of during refreshment breaks, lunch and just serendipitously in the hall way. The conference was well organised and well managed, of which big thanks to any organiser who might be on the list here.

Then as for one particular highlight, I really enjoyed Alex Levant’s, Bonnie Nardi’s and Anna Stetsenko’s symposium regarding Activity Theory and the Anthropocene. While the arguments around Activity Theory were familiar to me, I really appreciated their effort both to dialogue with existing theories, such as agential realism and post-humanism, in a way which pointed out similarities and important differences. What was especially striking was the parts of Nardi’s where she pointed out how the academics who have the politicians ear, often espouse highly reductionist and even naive ideas about how human act. At the end of the symposium Alex mentioned that they were in the process of aligning up a special issue on the topic.

The reason why this symposium was one of the highlight of the conference for me was the way in which it directly engaged in dialogue with more recent theories and trends in academic field, something I have not seen that much of late. I feel engaging in these discussion is highly important for raising awareness of CHAT outside our circles and to also develop CHAT in the age of the anthropocene.

And finally, yes the next conference will be held in Brazil, in Natale if I’m not mistaken! Many thanks already in advance for our brazilian colleagues for this!

Jake :)

***************
Jaakko Hilppö
jaakko.hilppo@northwestern.edu <mailto:jaakko.hilppo@northwestern.edu>