[Xmca-l] Re: Vowels Are From Venus

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 15:55:11 PDT 2017

Halliday would describe it as a difference in aperture. "Man" is open,
while "men" is half-open. You can feel and even see your jaw moving when
you move from one to the other.

Aperture is best thought of dynamically, as a movement from one posture to
another rather than as a single static posture, as when we describe vowels.
So once again it is better thought of as prosody than as articulation.

Take a look at this:

https://functionallinguistics.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/2196-419X-1-2

Halliday's model is not as idiosyncratic--or as language specific--as it
seems. A lot of linguists agree that phonemes are essentially reifications
of graphemes, and that syllables are a better model for understanding
spoken phonology. In fact, when we read Vygotsky, we see that he uses the
term "phoneme" in a rather strange way: he doesn't mean vowels and
consonants, because these actually DON'T have any meaning except in
comparison to other possible selections a speaker might have made but
didn't. In fact, the example he gives of "phonemes" in the Lectures on
Pedology are Russian case endings. Russian case endings are actually not
phonemes at all but morphemes.

Vygotsky went to school with Jakobson and probably studied with Trubetskoy.
So for him a "phoneme" is really what we would call a morpho-phoneme. More
like a Chinese character than a vowel or a consonant!

David Kellogg