[Xmca-l] Re: Vowels Are From Venus

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 16:27:31 PDT 2017

You notice that James gives us two antithetical couplets, each of four
syllables (Chinese, like child protolanguage, doesn't differentiate vowels
and consonants).

炉火纯青
出神入化

Lú huǒ chún qīng  (the fire of the furnace burns a pure green hue)
Chū shén rù huà (The god emerges and merges, comes out and goes in)

I haven't actually rendered the feeling that a Chinese person feels on
hearing these expressions,
any more than the words "consummate" or "superb" communicate the thought.

For one thing, my translation is too labored and literal; a a Chinese
person doesn't analyze so literally and the imagery is largley
"automatized" rather than visualized.
For another, the four character line has a history that goes all the way
back to the Book of Songs (11th C BCE) and all the way up to the
antithetical couplets peasants put on their doorways as Spring Festival in
the the countryside

(But James is right: the idea of antithetical couplets is a kind of natural
dialectic built into the Chinese language.
Somedays, like today, I find it that it influences the way I write in
English.)

David Kellogg