[Xmca-l] Re: Publishers seek removal of millions of papers from ResearchGate

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Mon Oct 9 14:05:35 PDT 2017

Also... (to Mike, et al):

Just after pressing send, and thinking more about this (now, out loud): I wonder if there is a strange effect whereby academic publishers, in seeking to regain and maintain their income turf, they might be preventing the VC's from actually benefiting from whatever "fruit" there is to monetize academic content through a social network.

Not that that is their goal, of course. It almost is like two cavemen fighting over a cavewoman (I hope I don't offend anyone on the list using those trite gender cis constructs).

But of course Open Access, seems to be the true holy grail, but no one is having that conversation who wants to make money off the content.

I invite others to comment.

Kind regards,

Annalisa