[Xmca-l] Re: WaPo article on higher ed: "Elitists, crybabies and junky degrees"

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 30 11:48:56 PST 2017

At UCSD, an R1 university, there is now a position of "teaching
professorship" which is a 9 course load, including a lot of big courses.
The unmarked (regular?) faculty teach varying numbers of course from only
1-2 up to 4-5 depending upon their department and the amount of money they
bring to the campus.

All departments at this "public" university are being urged to create
revenue-generating programs.

The US congress appears to be poised to slam graduate training through its
new tax policies and ditto university endowments.

etc.

mike

--
"The past isn't dead, it isn't even past."
- William Faulkner