[Xmca-l] Re: WaPo article on higher ed: "Elitists, crybabies and junky degrees"

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 09:20:25 PST 2017

Gente,
Thanks to Peter for citing Letters to Vera, especially to Robert and Cathrene for editing the book, to which I contributed a little piece. I am so grateful to Vera for being mentor and friend to my wife Judy and me, starting over 35 years ago. I came to New Mexico 40 years ago to work on the Navajo Reservation and found that Vera was there before me. I enrolled a few years later in the Educational Linguistic doctoral program at the University of New Mexico, founded by Vera and Bernard Spolsky. I have benefited in so many ways from Vera’s ground breaking work. Of course, there are many, many stories out there of grateful people like myself who are Vera’s legacy.
Vera, you embody creative collaboration.
Henry