[Xmca-l] Re: The Anatomy of the Ape

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 14:44:17 PST 2017

Thanks, Jussi. In the "History of the Crisis" Vygotsky uses this aphorism
to justify looking for the origins of Shakespeare in Bunin, for the origins
of La Fontaine in Shakespeare, etc. But in "Psychology of Art", he entirely
leaves out classical art; Aesop appears in his Renaissance and not his
Classical form. Classical art is really the whole point of the remark in
the Grundrisse.

Marx does seem to suggest that there is something especially special about
those Greeks. They were "normal children". Presumably he means the
chlidhood of our own art, compared to the "precocious" children of African
art or the "backward" children of Chinese art.

I guess this is a little like his "Asiatic mode of production", which is
really just a way of  warning us not to overgeneralize our own case through
time or space: feudalism is no more a "natural" or "universal" state of
affairs than capitalism.

David Kellogg